[arch-releng] New install iso, when?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Dec 4 20:22:49 CET 2010

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:46:17 -0300
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> On 11/30/2010 06:40 PM, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> > I was wondering when there would be a new install iso and if there
> > is anything I can help out with to get it out the door.
> >
> > I would be willing to help with mostly anything except aif, since I
> > am working on a custom install script called inky which aims to be
> > much simpler then aif.
> >
> > more details about inky at -
> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109335
> >
> I think should wait for a more stable Linux 2.6.36. Anyway can be a
> good period to test/review some pending patches in my git repo for
> archiso (install_dir branch).
>
> Also I want to add "ifcpu" patch from Thomas for archiso2dual, and
> push keyboard remap for syslinux and adding some options like (load
> memtest86+ using memdisk for machines with low-free ram below 640K).

Hey,
I've given the build environment some love.  I know Thomas has been
looking around there a bit, the whole directory layout, scripts,
documentation etc should now be more clear. (see
http://projects.archlinux.org/users/dieter/releng.git/)
I'm in the process of building new testing images and fixing stuff as
it breaks :)

Other then archiso (which is Gerardo's/Thomas territory) I would like
to suggest the following things to tackle, if anyone has the time to
contribute it; as far as I'm concerned none of this is a necessity.

- wireless support.  this needs a (dialog-based?) config utility which
  we could integrate.  but this depends on the netcfg/initscripts
  changes.
- support for btrfs & nilfs: i just checked out the latest linux 2.6.37
  code from git, in which these FS'es are still marked as experimental.
  anyone an idea when those will approx. become marked as stable? we
  should have new release images soon afterwards :)
- it would also be nice to be able to automatically start specific aif
  automatic installations when booting from pxe.  similar to what you
  can do with FAI, but that's more a personal wish, i doubt many users
  are waiting for that.

see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:releng_roadmap
for more.