[arch-releng] btrfs support in aif

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Sun Dec 19 19:19:43 EST 2010

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 22:03:39 -0600
> C Anthony Risinger <anthony at extof.me> wrote:
>
>> all this weekend and next week my fiance and son are going to the
>> grandparents early for holidays... so i plan on h at ckz0r1ng nonstop and
>> only sleeping when my feeble human body demands it...  this hook is
>> the first thing on my agenda, and the fun starts saturday afternoon
>> :-)
>
> nice to read that.  I thought your hook would be fairly done by now.

beh, already on me?!?  haha j/k, i thought it would too...

> (assuming everything you explained is what is currently working, or was
> that how you want it to be?)

the format works, i'm working on the automation part now; before i was
manually moving symlinks :-)

the btrfsadm management tool is the hardest part; but still not to
bad.  the hook is actually very small and simple now.  working more
today and probably some tomorrow.

> I don't plan to add more to aif then required (you mentioned
> I could create the basic structure), I'll just strongly recommend users
> to use subvolumes.

that's fine; if you can do you best to _strongly_ suggest (or enforce
:-) that users install into a dedicated subvol, it will make things
much safer/smoother on my end (and user...).  i really can't think of
a single practical objection or downside to doing this procedure.

> I'm a bit burned out right now from my recent Arch work, not sure when I
> will start working on btrfs subvolume support.

no worries.  probably not this release, but by the next spin of
install media, what do you think about including the hook + tool as an
option to those installing to a btrfs root?  do we do things like
that? i suppose the install media is pretty strapped for space.

C Anthony