[arch-releng] dual arch CDs [was: A TODO draft for next installation media]

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Feb 19 06:38:46 EST 2010

Am Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:14:00 +0100
schrieb Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>:

> Having devices in my home of which only some are x86_64 capable, it
> definitely comes in handy to have a dual-arch CD instead of two
> separate CDs. In my eyes this keeps it simpler than juggling between
> multiple images and CDs. Also it gets simpler for the user on the
> download site as well as for the mirrors.
> Therefore, while the content of the images gets less simple, the user
> experience itself becomes simpler (as in improved) which is a win in
> my book.

I, too, have to install Arch on both architectures but I hadn't had a
problem with having two CDs. I rather find it easier. This way I know
what arch I get when I choose the CD and don't need to care about the
arch during installation. I also have to help people with installing
Arch by telephone. This way I can send them the CD they need for their
arch and have one important source of trouble less.

And as Thomas has written, people who only need one arch "WILL
(probably) complain about download size".

i686 is, btw. only for older CPUs. As far as I know nowadays - since
several years - only 64 bit CPUs are produced. At least that's what my
computer dealer said.

Greetings,
Heiko