[arch-releng] dual arch CDs [was: A TODO draft for next installation media]

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Feb 19 07:11:44 EST 2010

Am 19.02.2010 12:38, schrieb Heiko Baums:
> I, too, have to install Arch on both architectures but I hadn't had a
> problem with having two CDs. I rather find it easier. This way I know
> what arch I get when I choose the CD and don't need to care about the
> arch during installation. I also have to help people with installing
> Arch by telephone. This way I can send them the CD they need for their
> arch and have one important source of trouble less.

No matter what we decide, generating the Dual-Arch CD is needed. So far,
we always had to create these manually when we needed them:
http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/cds_froscon/cd0809.jpg

> i686 is, btw. only for older CPUs. As far as I know nowadays - since
> several years - only 64 bit CPUs are produced. At least that's what my
> computer dealer said.

There lots of Atom CPUs out there without 64 bit support. Also the Core
Solo/Core Duo Laptop CPUs had no 64 bit (but now that I think about it,
that was 2006).