[arch-releng] dual arch CDs [was: A TODO draft for next installation media]

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Feb 19 07:49:06 EST 2010

Am Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:11:44 +0100
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> No matter what we decide, generating the Dual-Arch CD is needed. So
> far, we always had to create these manually when we needed them:
> http://dev.archlinux.org/~thomas/cds_froscon/cd0809.jpg

Well, I wanted to come to FrOSCon but couldn't yet. So I didn't know
these CDs. ;-)

> There lots of Atom CPUs out there without 64 bit support. Also the
> Core Solo/Core Duo Laptop CPUs had no 64 bit (but now that I think
> about it, that was 2006).

I don't know much about the Atoms but the Core Solo/Core Duo are
nowadays 64 bit as my computer dealer told me. That was what I asked
him about. Or let me put it like this: I told him as a matter of course
something about Single Core CPUs being 32 bit. He only looked at me
aghast and told me that every CPU manufacturer only produces 64 bit
CPUs since years.  As far as I remember he told me, that it was indeed
about 2005 or 2006 when the CPU manufacturers stopped producing 32 bit
CPUs.

Greetings,
Heiko