[arch-releng] dual arch CDs [was: A TODO draft for next installation media]

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Fri Feb 19 08:15:31 EST 2010

Am Freitag, 19. Februar 2010 14:08:10 schrieb Heiko Baums:
> > Your dealer obviously has no idea what he is talking about.
>
> I doubt that, but I can't verify it. He usually has a quite good
> knowledge.

If in doubt see wikipedia or the intel homepage. Core Solo and Duo are 32 bit
only. Core 2 Duo are x86_64. And only the very recent Atom cpus are.

However: If I had to decide I would just provide one single iso including both
arches instead of ten as we currently do. That would reduce traffic and make
things easier (for users).

If it does really matter if you download 300 or 600 MB you probably wont be
happy with Arch anyway. (ok, there was some guy at pacman-dev who uses Arch
with a 56K connection. But that shouldn't be the average user)