[arch-releng] dual arch CDs [was: A TODO draft for next installation media]

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Feb 19 09:47:22 EST 2010

Am 19.02.2010 13:49, schrieb Heiko Baums:
> I don't know much about the Atoms but the Core Solo/Core Duo are
> nowadays 64 bit as my computer dealer told me. That was what I asked
> him about. Or let me put it like this: I told him as a matter of course
> something about Single Core CPUs being 32 bit. He only looked at me
> aghast and told me that every CPU manufacturer only produces 64 bit
> CPUs since years.  As far as I remember he told me, that it was indeed
> about 2005 or 2006 when the CPU manufacturers stopped producing 32 bit
> CPUs.

The Core CPU was introduced in 2005 and disappeared quickly after the
introduction of the first mobile version of the Core 2 in fall 2006 (all
dates from memory, no guarantee). Also, the Core 2 was never produced as
a "Solo" variant.

But I am pretty sure that the Atom is still manufactured as a 32 Bit
CPU, at least some models.