[arch-releng] archiso

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jul 2 03:09:58 EDT 2010

Am 02.07.2010 02:54, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
>  On 07/01/2010 06:57 PM, Pascal wrote:
>> So in my makefile there's a
>> chroot $(WORKDIR)/root-image /usr/bin/mandb -qc
>>
>> May be directly in archiso...

Careful! Doing that once the ISO has already booted will fail on systems
with few memory. Currently, we generate the locales in the live system,
and that also fails with less than 128MB memory - and takes quite a long
time.

> That is true.
> But there is one issue with iso images sizes (core-dual.iso)
>
> 1) current (2010.05) official media is 659MB, so addding
> "1.7MB+compression" is not an issue.
> 2) current (today generated images 2010.07.01) is 702MB!. Size is over
> 2MB of the allowed limit for a CD-ROM, adding more data become a problem++.

Hmm, weird, can you find out what's so big? 702MB is okay for a CD (I
think the limit without overburning is 703), but that growth has to come
from somwhere.

> Anyway if big size is a problem for next iso, I think that dual images
> need to be generated with archiso2dual "-T split" instead of (like now)
> "-T basic"

A few things we could/should do:
1) Create separate core-pkgs for i686, x86_64 and any. It's a bit
complex to do that, but it'll save some duplication.
2) Add more architecture-independent files from the squashfs to a common
squashfs. Also very complex though.
3) Clean the squashfs from files we don't need in the live environment -
not sure which, but there might be some.
4) Use lzma for squashing. It is a problem, because that won't be in
2.6.35 and likely neither 2.6.36. However, small and working patches do
exist, Linus just rejected them for maintainability and quality reasons.
We could have a separate kernel26-archiso which differs from kernel26
just by having squashfs-lzma capability - just until the new lzma
compression code is finished.