[arch-releng] archiso

Smartboy smartboyathome at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 01:57:49 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
<vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>  On 07/01/2010 06:57 PM, Pascal wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using archiso: very good job!
>
> Oh yes works very well, but is not my job, I am just a eventually
> contributor.
>>
>> When you do an
>> apropos something
>> in the iso, there's no result...
>> So in my makefile there's a
>> chroot $(WORKDIR)/root-image /usr/bin/mandb -qc
>>
>> May be directly in archiso...
>>
> That is true.
> But there is one issue with iso images sizes (core-dual.iso)
>
> 1) current (2010.05) official media is 659MB, so addding "1.7MB+compression"
> is not an issue.
> 2) current (today generated images 2010.07.01) is 702MB!. Size is over 2MB
> of the allowed limit for a CD-ROM, adding more data become a problem++.
>
> Anyway if big size is a problem for next iso, I think that dual images need
> to be generated with archiso2dual "-T split" instead of (like now) "-T
> basic"
>
> (man-db -qc can be run inside the live environment, just take about 1
> minute)
>

> CC: to arch-releng to notify about space issue for next snapshot images.
>
> --
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
> \cos^2\alpha + \sin^2\alpha = 1

If I may add my input, I don't know ho the core packages are generated
exactly, but theoretically setting xz to the most compressed ratio
would mean that it would save more space and shouldn't take that much
longer to extract. Basically, the machine generating the packages
would be what takes the most time from what I understand (though I
could be wrong, if so feel free to correct me :)). Due to this,
perhaps core only could be generated with this setting. Just a
suggestion.

Smartboy