[arch-releng] Status report about building archiso images today

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jul 14 18:43:07 EDT 2010

  On 07/14/2010 04:55 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 14.07.2010 21:28, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
>>> Are you sure that this only affects the qemu cdrom?
>>> Shouldn't we provide
>>> a simple workaround that catches all CD drives, no matter
>>> what kind of
>>> weird bugs there might be?
>>>
>> This is a bug in qemu-kvm ide cdrom drive implementation, does not implement or does not work the command "READ DISC INFORMATION".
>>
>> As workaround just boot on qemu as scsi cd-rom that works better than ide implementation. (I guess that adding a workaround in archiso should be in case of real machine where there is no choice)
> You don't know what kind of broken hardware exists out there, sadly.
True.

Analyzing the situation in this way, perhaps we should think about the
return of images with GRUB, because there are very bad BIOS, where the
SYSLINUX does not work [#1].
>>> Can you summarize what exactly -T split does?
>> Sure
>>
>> -T basic: join both .iso keeping .sqfs intact.
>> -T split: join both .iso modifiying .sqfs with the follow rules:
>>
>> * usrshare.sqfs (any) is build from i686 root-image.sqfs [this can be done since /usr/share for both archs is the same]
>> * libmodules.sqfs (for each arch) is build from root-image.sqfs (respectively) [useful for boot 64Krnl/32User]
>> * /usr/share and /lib/modudes are removed from both root-images.sqfs
>> * core-any-pkg.sqfs (any) is build from i686 core-pkgs.sqfs.
>> * *any* packages are removed from both core-pkgs.sqfs
> Okay, -T split looks cool.
>
>> -T full: join both .iso doing all work in "split", but also removes specified files (listed on a file) from root-image.sqfs.
> Okay, what is that list?
By default, if no -R <removefiles.lst> is on command line, this file is
/usr/share/archiso2dual/removefiles.lst with this contents:
boot
usr/include
usr/share/doc
usr/share/info
usr/share/man
usr/src

>>> Also, there is the overlay: We used to have a separate
>>> overlay for each
>>> architecture, is that still necessary? If we add
>>> "Architecture = auto"
>>> to pacman.conf and use $arch in mirrorlist (is that already
>>> done?), it
>>> seems we can use the same overlay for both architectures.
>>>

>> Yes, anyway overlay.sqfs is 8192 bytes :P
> Still ... shouldn't be duplicated.
...true :P (working...)
>> PS: sorry for email format I am out from my home. Sent via webmail, running under custom archiso with KDE with all "chiches" (toys) :P
> No problem, seems like you're having fun.
haha you've discovered me :P

[#1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/19625

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi