[arch-releng] Status report about building archiso images today

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 14 19:14:09 EDT 2010

Am 15.07.2010 00:43, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
> Analyzing the situation in this way, perhaps we should think about the
> return of images with GRUB, because there are very bad BIOS, where the
> SYSLINUX does not work [#1].

I disagree. Contrary to GRUB, the people behind syslinux actually care
about these issues and are motivated to fix them. syslinux device
support seems to be much better than GRUB.

This is also the first time ever that I heard of an ISO working with
GRUB but not with syslinux.

> By default, if no -R <removefiles.lst> is on command line, this file is
> /usr/share/archiso2dual/removefiles.lst with this contents:
> boot

/boot is on the boot medium and is not needed in squashfs - it should be
removed anyway.

> usr/include
> usr/share/doc
> usr/share/info
> usr/share/man
> usr/src

We should try to keep those whenever possible.

I still hope that squashfs-lzma will be around soon ...