[arch-releng] 2010.05 announcement draft

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun May 16 23:26:47 CEST 2010

please provide feedback.
I have the feeling I'm forgetting something.
Btw the plan is to do the release monday may 17th around 20:00 UTC, so
there's not much time!

2010.05 snapshots. Less is more...

Hi all,
New installation media are vailable.
Their size and quantity has shrunken quite a bit but the usefulness has
only gone up. Here's a list of notable changes, which will explain
everything:

Archiso:
* all iso files can be burned onto CD's as well as written to media
like usb sticks (isohybrid)
* more then half of the packages in core are now xz compressed
* next to the single-arch files we provide dual-Arch images which can
be used as 32 or 64bit medium
* use isolinux bootloader exclusively (for booting the live media)
* snapshot of current core, including kernel 2.6.33.4-1, pacman-3.3.3-5
and glibc-2.11.1-3
* updated memtest
* support for PXE booting
* provide wpa_supplicant
* support libvirt

AIF:
* ability to choose if you want uuid/labels/devicefiles for
blockdevices; automatically applied in menu.lst, fstab, etc
* split off UI library into separate <a
href="http://github.com/Dieterbe/libui-sh">libui-sh</a> project
* support virtio blockdevices
* allow user to specify additional custom arguments for mkfs and the
like

Other then this, quite some bugs have been fixed again, mostly in AIF.
And of course, the <a
href="http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Official_Arch_Linux_Install_Guide">Official
installation guide</a> has been updated to reflect these changes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, this release took a long time but I
think it's worth it.