[arch-releng] 2010.05 announcement draft
dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun May 16 23:26:47 CEST 2010
please provide feedback.
I have the feeling I'm forgetting something.
Btw the plan is to do the release monday may 17th around 20:00 UTC, so
there's not much time!
2010.05 snapshots. Less is more...
New installation media are vailable.
Their size and quantity has shrunken quite a bit but the usefulness has
only gone up. Here's a list of notable changes, which will explain
* all iso files can be burned onto CD's as well as written to media
like usb sticks (isohybrid)
* more then half of the packages in core are now xz compressed
* next to the single-arch files we provide dual-Arch images which can
be used as 32 or 64bit medium
* use isolinux bootloader exclusively (for booting the live media)
* snapshot of current core, including kernel 184.108.40.206-1, pacman-3.3.3-5
* updated memtest
* support for PXE booting
* provide wpa_supplicant
* support libvirt
* ability to choose if you want uuid/labels/devicefiles for
blockdevices; automatically applied in menu.lst, fstab, etc
* split off UI library into separate <a
* support virtio blockdevices
* allow user to specify additional custom arguments for mkfs and the
Other then this, quite some bugs have been fixed again, mostly in AIF.
And of course, the <a
installation guide</a> has been updated to reflect these changes.
Thanks to everyone who contributed, this release took a long time but I
think it's worth it.
More information about the arch-releng