[arch-releng] archisobasedir discussion.

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Oct 17 22:51:16 EDT 2010

  On 10/17/2010 10:05 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
>  On 10/17/2010 09:41 PM, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:

>>> Oops - I just did it on vfat. I'd prefer arch/.
>>>
>> I made changes to mkarchiso and syslinux-iso/Makefile but... does not
>> work (config file not found)
>>
>> Seems that you only played with extlinux, because isolinux....
>>
>> 72       ++++ NOTE ON THE CONFIG FILE DIRECTORY ++++
>> 73
>> 74 ISOLINUX will search for the config file directory in the order
>> 75 /boot/isolinux, /isolinux, /.  The first directory that exists is
>> 76 used, even if it contains no files.  Therefore, please make sure that
>> 77 these directories don't exist if you don't want ISOLINUX to use them.
>>
>> And this documentation is up to date acording to the code
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=blob;f=core/fs/iso9660/iso9660.c;hb=HEAD#l275
>>
> I missed "not" word, anyway does not work.
>>
>> isofs still uses this custom method instead of generic for
>> syslinux/extlinux
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=blob;f=core/fs/lib/loadconfig.c;hb=HEAD#l14
>>

> I think we have two or three options, please make a choice (I
> currently working now on this)
>
> /boot (place like now kernel+memtest+syslinux here)
> /archlinux
>
> OR
>
> /boot/syslinux (place only syslinux files here)
> /archlinux
> /archlinux/boot (place kernel+memtest)
>
> OR
> /syslinux (place only syslinux files here)
> /archlinux
> /archlinux/boot (place kernel+memtest)

I take the last option, I think is the best, for example if you want to
use another boot manager, just only copy "arch" directory.

The work is done for RFC, in my install_dir branch [#1][#2].
Also I removed two things that I always dislike: isomounts generated by
mkarchiso and README. Please let me know if re-add it.

This how media looks [#3]. Tested and works fine.

TODO: update archiso2dual, when this become accepted.

[#1] http://github.com/djgera/archiso/tree/install_dir
[#2] http://github.com/djgera/archiso/compare/experimental...install_dir
[#3] http://djgera.pastebin.com/7Ttc5Crq

--