[arch-releng] archisobasedir discussion.

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 18 04:32:42 EDT 2010

Am 18.10.2010 02:41, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
> I made changes to mkarchiso and syslinux-iso/Makefile but... does not
> work (config file not found)
>
> Seems that you only played with extlinux, because isolinux....
>
> 72       ++++ NOTE ON THE CONFIG FILE DIRECTORY ++++
> 73
> 74 ISOLINUX will search for the config file directory in the order
> 75 /boot/isolinux, /isolinux, /.  The first directory that exists is
> 76 used, even if it contains no files.  Therefore, please make sure that
> 77 these directories don't exist if you don't want ISOLINUX to use them.
>
> And this documentation is up to date acording to the code
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=blob;f=core/fs/iso9660/iso9660.c;hb=HEAD#l275

Oh, I thought isolinux can also use the same folder as the bootloader
resides in.

The idea was to be able to just copy the arch/ folder to a USB and
install syslinux on it, without modifying configuration files (beyond
adjusting the label. Right now, you need to change syslinux.cfg
massively). Using a subfolder would be nice for the Arch media to
coexist with other programs on the USB. If we have to keep /boot or
/syslinux, then you'll loose this. Does ISO Level 1 support something
equivalent to symlinks?