[arch-releng] Iso tests

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 17:02:20 EDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Tom Willemsen
<tom.willemsen at archlinux.us> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> On 20 Apr 20:32, Dan McGee wrote:
>> Second thing is- wondering if you could rebase your work on the latest
>> code. You branched quite a while ago and I'd prefer one line of clean
>> code that applies nicely, as it is a lot easier to follow. Something
>> like "git rebase master <mybranch>" should do the trick. It would also
>> be great if you could use "git rebase -i" or any other tricks to
>> squash fixup commits into the proper commit where that work originally
>> belonged.
>
> Another one of git's nice features, it was interesting to work with
> "git rebase -i", I did have to "git push --force" afterwards, though, so
> I don't exactly know how that will affect repositories that have been
> cloned before I did that, but I imagine it will make a big mess of
> things.

It looks like you did a rebase which made it a straight line history,
but didn't actually rebase it onto master. The common base is still
f1e476373 (use gitk/qgit/git log -g/tig/etc. to see this), way back
from February 1st. Given that your public repository master branch is
still pointing at an old commit, I'm guessing you need to take just a
few more steps.

1. Check in or git-stash all uncommitted changes to your branch.
2. git fetch origin (or whatever the remote name is for the main
projects.archlinux.org remote)
3. git branch -f master origin/master (once again, use the right
branch name, but I highly recommend making origin the upstream
repository)
4. git rebase master testresults
5. git push -f <yourremote> testresults

The force push has no ill effects for working branches unless other
people are basing work off of it. force push is discouraged highly if
you are a project maintainer on something like the master/maint
branches, but forcing a push to a work branch is rarely frowned upon.

-Dan