[arch-releng] Package wishes

Karol Blazewicz karol.blazewicz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:13:12 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> You can create your own iso and include the packages you want.
>
> That is quite dismissive, as this type of argument can be used to
> discourage anyone from anything.
>

>> Packages from AUR won't be included in the official iso and I don't
>> think games are necessary.
>
> What are the requirements for deeming the inclusion of a package as necessary?
>

>> There are also space constraints:
>> - iotop needs python and it's a rather big package.
>
> Although iotop itself is only 116152 bytes, I do understand that
> including Python 3 (142704062 bytes) is a bit much for a CD.
>

>> - gptfdisk needs icu, another big package.
>
> Are there other tools available for editing GPT partitions?
>

>> top is included (procps package), so htop is not absolutely necessary
>
> At least htop is tiny, using only 121826 bytes, and being a lot nicer
> and more practical than top.
> (/usr/bin/top takes 71221 bytes).
>
> If nothing else, I still wish for the inclusion of htop in addition to
> (or instead of) /usr/bin/top.
> It's only 50605 bytes more, for a much nicer program.
>

> Best regards,
>   Alexander Rødseth
>   (xyproto on IRC, trontonic on AUR)

I'm not a member of the releng team and I don't know when the next
official (or even testing) iso will arrive, so I suggested you build
your own. I really didn't want to sound dismissive, but this way you
can have the packages you want.

Can you tell us why do you need them on the iso? Pacman can install
them from e.g. a usb drive too, so it's possible even w/o an internet
connection (just make sure you have all the dependencies).