[arch-releng] Package wishes

Alexander Rødseth rodseth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 10:58:14 EDT 2011

Hi,

> You can create your own iso and include the packages you want.

That is quite dismissive, as this type of argument can be used to
discourage anyone from anything.

> Packages from AUR won't be included in the official iso and I don't
> think games are necessary.

What are the requirements for deeming the inclusion of a package as necessary?

> There are also space constraints:
> - iotop needs python and it's a rather big package.

Although iotop itself is only 116152 bytes, I do understand that
including Python 3 (142704062 bytes) is a bit much for a CD.

> - gptfdisk needs icu, another big package.

Are there other tools available for editing GPT partitions?

> top is included (procps package), so htop is not absolutely necessary

At least htop is tiny, using only 121826 bytes, and being a lot nicer
and more practical than top.
(/usr/bin/top takes 71221 bytes).

If nothing else, I still wish for the inclusion of htop in addition to
(or instead of) /usr/bin/top.
It's only 50605 bytes more, for a much nicer program.

Best regards,
   Alexander Rødseth
   (xyproto on IRC, trontonic on AUR)