[arch-releng] Package wishes

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 23 12:06:09 EDT 2011

Am 23.08.2011 16:15, schrieb Alexander Rødseth:
> Hi,
>
> I wish the following packages were included on the Live CD:
> htop

Not necessary, but as you pointed out, also quite small.

> iotop

Sadly, as mentioned below, python adds >100MB to the environment
(uncompressed), which we cannot afford. The current core-dual image is
673MB, and we'd like to keep that below 700MB for compatibility with CDs.

Although, we could make the point that
1) You can burn the image onto a DVD, which is not much more expensive
than a CD nowadays.
2) Most people will put it on USB anyway.

So the 700MB limit could possibly be dropped - what is everyone's
opinion on that?

> gptfdisk

Someone posted on this list that he is working on GPT support in AIF.
This would require a decent gpt partition manager. Even without AIF
support, this might be useful for people to set GPT up manually.

In general, I'd give this a big +1, but I don't know the tools, so I
have no idea if gptfdisk is the best choice.

> nethack

Although small, this seems superfluous.

> And possibly even:
> diakonos (from AUR)

We will only include packages that are in the repositories.

I don't know diakonos, but I was always planning to re-add 'joe' to
extra, so we can put it on the ISO again :)

> Tucos on IRC told me "Pozzi, the archiso guy" was the one to ask
> regarding wishes for new packages on the CD.
> (Via this mailing list, if I did not misunderstand him completely).

This is correct. Gerardo and Dieter mostly decide what happens to the
images, although I try to steer the in the right direction when I feel
the need to.