[arch-releng] Christmas Release?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Dec 15 06:40:26 EST 2011

Am 15.12.2011 11:26, schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:09:22 -0300
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>
>> On 12/14/2011 09:09 PM, Thomas Bächler wrote:
>>> I am not sure what happened in AIF, but archiso has seen some
>>> improvements. Should we push out a Christmas Release with the
>>> latest stuff?
>>>
>>> Once the pacman 4/signing stuff is finished and in core, tweaks to
>>> AIF will be needed which will probably delay another release, so
>>> better do one now, before that happens.
>>>
>>> What do you guys think?
>>>

>> Sounds good. At least we have two major features from end-user-pov in
>> archiso: persistence and http/nfs in pxe (plus much more
>> pxe-easy-setup)
>>

> I thought the signing stuff is getting close now?

Exactly, but that's going to delay the next release.

> I would just do one new release that brings all archiso improvements along with a few aif fixes and the signing stuff.

Doing yet another release directly after the signing stuff is done
shouldn't be a problem. But if we hit problems and need to delay, we
still have a fairly recent snapshot and can thus take our time.

> as for what's on the plate for AIF, check out:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=index&project=6&status[]=open
> esp. the things labeled critical and high should be taken care of.

Any regressions compared to the previous release?

> also, what needs to be first? pacman4/signing stuff in core, or new release? i thought we needed an archiso release with the signing stuff enabled before we could move pacman4/signing stuff to core.  but i'm not sure why.

Once pacman 4 goes to core, we need signing in archiso and AIF. The
archiso part is rather easy (set up a keyring for the live environment),
the AIF part is harder