[arch-releng] grub install not listing partitions

Eric Fernandez zeb at zebulon.org.uk
Thu Dec 15 17:27:24 EST 2011

Hi,

I am the original reporter of https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25726
and as Desmond Cox explained, it is more practical to use chainloading
than having one grub. Maintenance is more difficult when having
several kernels from different distribution in one grub, and increases
risks of having one distribution wrongly editing entries when updating
their own kernel options.

Like Desmond, I never experienced any problem installing grub in a
partition. Removing the possibility to install grub in a partition is
in my opinion contrary to KISS, especially if there are no stable
alternatives (I shall try syslinux, as you recommend, but other posts
make me wonder if this would work for me). Is it possible to allow
installing grub on partitions as an "advanced" option?

Thanks a lot in advance.