[arch-releng] grub install not listing partitions

Matthew Gyurgyik pyther at pyther.net
Thu Dec 15 23:02:36 EST 2011

On 12/15/2011 04:40 AM, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> Why exactly don't we list partitions anymore?
> (see
> https://github.com/Dieterbe/aif/commit/55190c0c81fc76f8b2b3983e790f2c7aacf4e69f)
> IIRC you said it shouldn't be really needed, but turns out it is:
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25726
> see also
> http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-releng/2011-March/001557.html
>
> so we should probably list again all blockdevices (partitions and devices themselves)
>
> Dieter
I agree with Thomas.

1.) There are better alternatives to installing grub on a partition (see
Thomas' mail).

2.) Listing all the block devices and partitions becomes hard to read.
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2
/dev/sdc
/dev/sdc1
/dev/sdc2

vs

/dev/sda
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdc

3.) Don't use grub-legacy (not supported upstream or maintained). Use
syslinux (installer) or grub2 (manually).

Installing grub to a partition is an uncommon setup and used by few
users, Those who really want to install grub to a partition can do so
manually.