[arch-releng] grub install not listing partitions

Eric Fernandez zeb at zebulon.org.uk
Fri Dec 16 04:34:57 EST 2011

2011/12/16 Matthew Gyurgyik <pyther at pyther.net>:

> I agree with Thomas.
>
> 1.) There are better alternatives to installing grub on a partition (see
> Thomas' mail).
>
> 3.) Don't use grub-legacy (not supported upstream or maintained). Use
> syslinux (installer) or grub2 (manually).

I appreciate these comments and gather syslinux might be a better
solution than grub, and will look into it.

However, I would like to point out that grub (legacy) is still the
recommended bootloader solution in the beginner's guide, and in the
installer isos. Furthermore, grub legacy is the one in core, whereas
grub2 is in extra. I think that it is prematurate to cripple the
installation of a bootloader just because it is not maintained
upstream, until we have a better replacement. If really grub legacy is
bad, then we should phase it out and replace it with a better one,
which should be the new default. Why not replace grub legacy with
grub2 in the core repository and in the installer?

> Installing grub to a partition is an uncommon setup and used by few users,
> Those who really want to install grub to a partition can do so manually.

Well, that is against the KISS principle. The fact it is uncommon is
irrelevant for a distro like Arch, which is not suppose to hide
options for their own good (especially when users report having used
the partition installation with no problem).

Eric