[arch-releng] grub install not listing partitions

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Dec 16 09:03:02 EST 2011

Am Fri, 16 Dec 2011 18:39:49 +0530
schrieb Keshav P R <the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com>:

> I suggest someone should replace grub-legacy with syslinux as the
> recomended bootloader in the Beginner's Guide (I do have a wiki
> account but skeptical about editing the "Guide" wiki article myself).

This should only be done if and only if syslinux can completely replace
grub-legacy. This is not the case until it doesn't support multiboot
systems. Chainloading of different linux distros from different
partitions is not possible in syslinux as far as I know.

If syslinux will hopefully once support multiboot systems I'll second
this.

And that grub-legacy is not developed anymore by upstream doesn't
mean that it doesn't work anymore. For me it's still stable and has
more features than syslinux.

Heiko