[arch-releng] grub install not listing partitions

Keshav P R the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:18:54 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 19:33, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 16 Dec 2011 18:39:49 +0530
> schrieb Keshav P R <the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com>:
>
> > I suggest someone should replace grub-legacy with syslinux as the
> > recomended bootloader in the Beginner's Guide (I do have a wiki
> > account but skeptical about editing the "Guide" wiki article myself).
>
> This should only be done if and only if syslinux can completely replace
> grub-legacy. This is not the case until it doesn't support multiboot
> systems. Chainloading of different linux distros from different
> partitions is not possible in syslinux as far as I know.
>
> If syslinux will hopefully once support multiboot systems I'll second
> this.
>
> And that grub-legacy is not developed anymore by upstream doesn't
> mean that it doesn't work anymore. For me it's still stable and has
> more features than syslinux.
>
> Heiko

Well, it may work in your system but does not do so properly in many
systems (newer and older both). I agree syslinux is not recommended for
multiboot but grub-legacy might be (is?) a maintenance burden for the devs
(both the package and in the installer). This decision has to be taken by
the devs. If they choose to support it, then threads like this pop up
now-and-then asking for a specific feature to be added/dropped/modified and
they haave to fix the package/code themselves. If they don't support, its
upto the user to find out how to do it. But the truth is grub-legacy is
deprecated and not recommended, and the upstream simply refuses to fix any
issue or even give advice/suggestions on grub-legacy.

Regards.

Keshav