[arch-releng] grub2 and uefi support in aif

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Fri Jan 28 12:20:40 EST 2011

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 22:18:07 +0530
"KESHAV P.R." <skodabenz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>          I want to hack into AIF (and maybe archiso) to add support
> for grub2 and uefi support to it. I might borrow some code from
> tpowa's archboot, atleast for the uefi related stuff since i added
> that support (to archboot). I need help in the form of implementing
> GPT and grub2 BIOS support to AIF since that is a prerequisite to
> enable uefi support in aif. I am not so familiar with lvm, raid and
> all such complex stuff that require checking (as currently done by
> archboot's /arch/setup script) while insallation of grub2 bios but i
> can help in gpt booting related stuff and uefi support. The first
> problem i am facing is to find out which file to edit - in archboot
> everything was concentrated at /arch/setup, but in AIF it seems to be
> split up into multiple files. Thanks in advance.

from the top of my head that would be
lib/core/lib-blockdevices-filesystems.sh and
lib/core/lib-ui-interactive.sh

have a look at the grub functions and how they relate to each other,
and how they are called from the interactive and automatic
procedure, namely by worker_install_bootloader(), you'll see.

You can also check Pythers' syslinux work,
https://github.com/pyther/aif
it might give you some more insight in what needs to be done to add
support to a bootloader, although i haven't reviewed that code properly
myself yet.