[arch-releng] dm-snapshot branch is now merged in official master branch.

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Sun Jun 19 00:20:33 EDT 2011

On Saturday, June 18, 2011 11:03:11 PM Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> On 06/18/2011 08:20 PM, Yaro Kasear wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 18, 2011 05:31:00 PM Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> @Dieter: Please ask if you need help for your helper scripts.
> >> @Sven: I fews days I will update the wiki. Please check the english
> >> grammar. Thanks.
> >>

> >> --------------
> >>
> >> [archiso] Use dm-snapshot instead of aufs2 (A.K.A. "The Big Commit")
> >>
> >> * Use device mapper + snapshot module, instead union layer filesystem.
> >>
> >>     * A block-level approach vs vfs-level.
> >>     * No more unofficial (Linux) things.
> >>     * More memory is needed.
> >>
> >> * Refactor mkarchiso.
> >> * Refactor hooks/archiso.
> >> * Fix install/archiso_pxe_nbd
> >>
> >>     (due recent change in mkinitcpio-0.6.15 on
> >>
> >> checked_modules()/all_modules()) [Thanks Dave for the improved
> >> workaround] * New configs/releng to build official images.
> >>
> >>     * Works with a Bash script instead of Makefile.
> >>
> >>       (better control and easy to maintain)
> >>
> >> * Remove configs/syslinux-iso.
> >> * Remove archiso2dual script. Integrate functionality in configs/releng.
> >> * New configs/baseline to build the most basic live medium or use as
> >> template. * New README (draft). [Thanks Dieter for fixing english
> >> grammar] --------------
> >>

> >> Good Luck.
> >
> > What does this mean for the general progress for a new release?
>
> There are no releases for archiso. Last release was 0.1 three years ago.

I'm talking about the images found here: http://www.archlinux.org/download/

We're long overdue for a new "snapshot" if you're going to be picky about
semantics. This one is over a year old, and I don't know about other folks,
but I've noticed it doesn't do so well anymore for setting up Arch installs
without at least getting cfdisk updated during the live session.

Lets not also forget that there have been a few fundamental changes to various
parts of how Arch uses that the "current" image doesn't support that it really
needs to. The "automatic network configuration" is broken now that networking
in Archlinux has changed how it works, for example.

So, I'm asking a simple question, with the dm-snapshot its being merged into
the mainline releng, does this mean that we won't have to wait terribly much
longer for a new image?

Because, frankly, we could have easily soon two snapshots between the current
one and the one that's being worked on now to at least keep an Arch system
maintainable with official media. It is unfortunate that, because its a little
over a year old, I can't rely on Arch's own installation media to aid in
fixing issues I can't merely fix in a fallback initramfs boot.

Am I making sense, now?

I'm not really asking for an ETA. I knwo the rule on that. I'm just asking if
this means we're simply going to see an actual snapshot release within the
next month or so because of this merge.