[arch-releng] Iso tests

Tom Willemsen tom.willemsen at archlinux.us
Fri Mar 11 03:24:41 EST 2011

On 10 Mar 22:01, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> okay, so no authentication reuse.
> then i guess the next best thing is to ask a (nick)name, email address and response to a simple "are you human" question. that should work well enough, except it would allow people to purposely add "everything is okay" reports with a bogus name/ email address, which would cause me to mark iso's as "verified enough" and make an official release of crappy isos. (or the inverse: they can mark as everything as broken).  if users would be authenticated I think there would be less chance for abuse.
So how would we do that? a question like which arch is best? or should I
start looking at captcha or something?

Another idea might be (although might cause other problems of course,
and would require more effort on the user's part) that results have to
be verified, like forum logins and such.
As I think that everyone who takes the time to use a web interface to
enter these questions might already be motivated enough to also respond
to a simple single-click verification, perhaps. And I don't think many
people would test a single iso all that many times, at most they might
enter a new result if they changed their settings from last time. But it
still might not be the nicest idea.

Until we write something that does this automatically, like we talked
about, somewhere after the installation through a cli app, some user
involvement in the process of entering this data will be required.

> However, if that is not something we want (it would for example imply I need push access to the repo) or have time to setup right now, I can live with the next best thing: maintaining the help page on the wiki. (I don't like the idea of managing the page content through the webinterface, I want version control, so let's keep this webapp simple and let's not poorly reinvent a wiki)
So what is it then you have against the wiki exactly? just the fact
that it's managed through a web interface? Since I thought the wiki was
version controlled anyway (looking at the history tab sure gives me an
idea much like it) and I thought it would be the logical place for any
arch-related documentation? I don't want to be a pain I just don't
follow completely :)