[arch-releng] Iso tests

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Mar 12 13:55:22 EST 2011

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 00:13:11 +0100
Tom Willemsen <tom.willemsen at archlinux.us> wrote:

> > "must be verified, like forum logins" => this is called authentication.
> > But I'm not sure how exactly you want to authenticate them. "simple
> > single-click verification" ? How would that work?
>
> No I only mean like how forums and other kinds of websites verify email
> addresses. You send an email to the address they sent and the test
> results they have entered don't become valid until they click the link
> in the email to prove that they might actually exist. It was just an
> idea and not one I thought users might be thrilled about, but I'm
> guessing not many spambots will respond to such things and I'm also
> guessing people will get easily annoyed and won't bother this way.
> Single click was just me trying to explain the process: User enters
> data, server sends email to entered address, user clicks link in email
> and server knows the user is more likely to be a real person trying to
> help improve the community.
> I dunno, probably not a good idea...

This is almost a user registration/authentication system.
(the difference is that with the latter, you confirm your email-address only once, and from then on authenticate with a password)
Even though it would introduce yet another different account on users,
I'm afraid this will be the only option if we want some credibility of reports. (which I find a must for this app)
Django probably has an easy way to do registration and authentication.