[arch-releng] [RFC] [archiso] Use a pure systemd enviroment

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 22 05:55:02 EDT 2012

Am 19.08.2012 21:15, schrieb Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi:
> 1) DHCP is requested again on real-root. I guess, is most cases, there
> is no issues since is re-assigned the same IP address. (this bug
> introduced recently since rc.conf enabled "network")

This is actually necessary. If you don't start a real DHCP daemon on
boot, then you won't renew your lease and the DHCP server may give the
IP to someone else.

Your lease should still be valid when you re-launch DHCP, so you can
rely on getting the same IP. You could probably even configure dhcpcd to
specifically request the correct IP.

> Solutions:
> a) If this happens suggest the to the user use copytoram=y
> b) Use copytoram=y in NBD/NFS by default (this is always done for HTTP),
> user can change this behaviour.
> c) Disable DHCP service from relevant hooks.

None of these are good solutions.

> 2) Stopping network on shutdown, if network is stopped before reach
> shutdown-initramfs againt this does not look good.
> Solutions:
> a) See how to skip network on shutdown.
> b) Same point (1.b)

We must not stop network on shutdown. We can quit dhcpcd without
releasing the lease or shutting down the network. If this is not
possible with systemd, then something is very wrong.