[arch-releng] RFC: Automated Install

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Fri Jul 9 07:47:35 UTC 2021

On 7/9/21 3:09 AM, dif via arch-releng wrote:
> (I'm not a programmer, but) wouldn't program sgdisk that belongs to the
> gptfdisk package be enough to do the automated/scripted partitioning.
> I'm pretty sure it is in the official ISO. At least, it was a few years
> ago when I used it a few times.
>
> dif

sgdisk is indeed still on the install ISO, but this is not a script -
it's a compiled program, meant to be run as a daemon on startup. (It
will do nothing unless explicitly enabled via kernel parameters, and it
strictly doesn't need to be a daemon, but I digress).

So if I was writing a bash (or sh, or ksh, or whatever) script, sure -
sgdisk would be a fantastic choice.
But what I'm working on is not a script. :) (Golang is not an
interpreted language; it's a compiled language, like C/C++, Rust, etc.)

For something non-interpreted, you shouldn't need to fork a shell just
to run a program called by your program.

--
brent saner
https://square-r00t.net/