[arch-security] strange netstat connections after having opened Firefox

Luchesar V. ILIEV luchesar.iliev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 13:46:32 UTC 2015

On 5 December 2015 at 14:01, Christian Rebischke
<Chris.Rebischke at archlinux.org> wrote:
> This mailinglist has a daily-business todo and was not designed for
> discussions. [...]

The list name however says "Discussion about security issues in Arch
Linux and its packages". That being said, I understand what you mean
and agree with it.

> [...] This mailinglist's main task is to
> inform subscribers about newest vulnerabilities.

So, could perhaps the list be split into two: one list for
security-related discussions and one---moderated or even
"read-only"---strictly for security announcements? For example,
FreeBSD has these:

freebsd-security: Security issues [members-only posting]
freebsd-security-notifications: Moderated Security Notifications
[moderated, low volume]

The rationale is probably obvious. On one hand, people indeed expect a
list used for security announcements to be used _only_ for this. Some
might, for example, have set filters that mark such messages as
urgent, display nagging pop ups, etc. On the other hand, the plain old
e-mail still has value as a media for discussions. For example, it's
not very practical to digitally sign forum postings, and IRC is a
wholly different type of communication that might not always be
appropriate.

Cheers,
Luchesar

P.S. Slightly off-topic: my sincerest gratitude to everyone behind the
security announcements! You're doing a great job, and this is not just
empty words.