[aur-dev] AUR2 New feature: Package Requests

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Fri Jan 11 12:50:37 EST 2008

On 1/11/08, Sebastian Nowicki <xilonmu at gmail.com> wrote:
> This morning I was looking for package requests, that I may be able to
> fill, on the bbs. After a few minutes of flipping through threads, I
> realised that nobody maintains the forum. These threads do not get
> edited properly to indicate that a request was filled. Every thread I
> looked at which seemed to be a request, was in fact already filled.
> Searching for a valid request seemed impossible. Who know how many
> threads spanning those 99 pages are actually filled or not?
>
> So I figured I may as well make a special section for it on the AUR
> site. The templates are a bit ugly still, and there's no searching
> implemented, nor do requests get marked as filled when a package gets
> submitted, but there's time for that. Here are some screenshots of
> what's done so far:
>
> http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8855/200801120136181679x759sqm8.png
> http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1507/200801120137081679x520seo8.png *
> http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6889/200801120137171679x772ste9.png
>
> I discussed it with wizzo a bit and decided that comments weren't
> neccessary, but a "pkgbuild attempt" field would be useful. Any
> comments/discussion that people may have about the request can reside on
> the ML or bbs.
>
> * Request listing will have an "added" or "requested on" field

I don't think I like this kind of thing being tied to the aur code.

Requesting a package, or packaging assistance, shouldn't be a formal
process. It should be informal, like most community requests for
assistance. I think it should just remain a community aspect, and
should be just something that happens on the forum or the mailing
list.