[aur-dev] AUR2 New feature: Package Requests

Sebastian Nowicki xilonmu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 23:25:35 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:50:37AM -0800, eliott wrote:
> Requesting a package, or packaging assistance, shouldn't be a formal
> process. It should be informal, like most community requests for
> assistance. I think it should just remain a community aspect, and
> should be just something that happens on the forum or the mailing
> list.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the bbs just does not work. The
mailing list doesn't seem like the right place either, since it moves
along and posts can be forgotten. It's not really persistent. I think
having the requests on the AUR is very logical, it's more automated,
organised, easier to search for requests, and filled requests
automatically drop off the listing. No maintenance is required since the
code does everything. The user is required to give a decent amount of
information, which people fail to do on the bbs. Only one account is
required to post requests and packages, instead of one for the AUR and
one for the bbs.

Just because people aren't able to freely post comments and such doesn't
mean that there is no community aspect. In my opinion the AUR is very
much a community project and I don't see why requests shouldn't be in
the same place as the packages.