[aur-dev] fwd: AUR PKGBUILD files and web searches

Thayer Williams thayerw at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 12:04:44 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Simo Leone <simo at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I'm forwarding this to aur-dev, as it's come up before and I want to
> gather current opinions on it. A couple thoughts that come to my mind
> are that spam harvesters won't honor robots.txt anyway, and in the past
> people sort of agreed that by uploading a pkgbuild, you probably should
> have noticed the fact that it's google searchable before you did it, and
> taken countermeasures yourself.
>
> Opinions?
> -S

There's simply no getting around it.  Plain text files on a public
server *will* get indexed by someone, somewhere.

I also think it's important that the PKGBUILD contain correct and
easily identifiable contact information.  I suppose we could look at
doing a mask of some sort, but I am highly sceptical of their
effectiveness too. I think the best option is to simply use spam
filters or a free email account which provide decent spam filters,
such as Gmail.  This is just my two cents of course, but there you
have it.