[aur-dev] patch for AUR about setting the DEFAULT_LANG

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 18:35:33 EST 2010

On Mon 30 Nov 2009 17:27 +0800, Athurg Gooth wrote:
> When i port a chinese version AUR,  I fount this bug. That once i setting a
> default language to sth(eg: zh_CN) by change DEFAULT_LANG macr define in
> web/lib/config.inc, it won't work, and this language page(here is zh_CN)
> could not show its native strings.

DEFAULT_LANG was supposed to indicate the language that strings in the
code are written in, so that if someone asked for 'en' then the code
wouldn't look for en.po and come up with an error.

I think your idea makes more sense though.

> Then i turn back to check if i got a wrong spelling. But i fount the
> developer have told us that options couldn't be change(in
> web/lib/config.inc, line 48). So I think maybe its a bug which havn't been
> fixed.
>
> After i check all the code about language setting, i think i got  the
> reason. We have two problems which cause that bug.
>
> First, in .../web/lib/aur.inc, between line 296 to line 298. Even the
> $LANG==DEFAULT_LANG, we should include the $LANG.po file. Because once the
> DEFAULT_LANG isn't english, we also need translate the strings.
> So i just suggest add an 'else' branch after line 298 to include
> DEFAULT_LANG.po.such as"else{include_once(DEFAULT_LANG.".po";)}"
>
> Second, in .../web/lib/translator.inc, between line 52 to line 62. The
> reason is as the same as i said above. If we havn't set a $LANG var, the
> $LANG will be set to DEFAULT_LANG. But the DEFAULT_LANG doesn't mean
> english. Even the $LANG havn't been set, the $_t maybe setting (see  Firest
> above) when include from DEFAULT_LANG.po. We should also translate them.
> So i think we should remove the 'else' identify. make the 'else' branch work
> for ever.
>
> By the way if the function "include_lang()" in .../web/lib/translator.inc,
> between line 32 to line 40 is an old function to make the lang func? Maybe
> we should remove them.

Indeed. I think we can remove it now.

> I prepare to make a mirror for our AUR to chinese people, how could i got
> the databases an files from aur.archlinux.org. OR i couldn't make a mirror
> for that.

It's great to hear that people are playing with the AUR code.
Thanks for the patch. I've applied a slightly modified version. It has
helped reveal some redundant code that we could eliminate too. Please
let us know more about your ideas about mirroring the AUR.

Thanks and cheers!
Sorry about the delay.