[aur-dev] Some optimzation patches

elij elij.mx at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 17:39:31 EDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Lukas Fleischer
<archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 08:41:27PM -0700, elij wrote:
>> Here are some patches that optimze a few things:
>>
>> - combine css for faster delivery (fewer tcp connections)
>> - minimize css (faster delivery, bandwidth reduction)
>>   note: originals are retained for later editing and re-minimization
>> - optimize png file
>> - specific image dimensions in a few places where they were missing
>> - move ie specific style (archnav bg image) to a separate stylesheet
>>   and include conditionally
>
> Seems like you forgot to submit a whole bunch of patches... I only got
> the PNG file optimization and the image dimension patches so far.

I didn't forget. Mailman ate them. Aaron said there was something goofy going
on with the mainman config. I will try submitting them _one last time_ using
format-patch --inline instead of attach, and see if that makes a difference.

> Imho, we should also be careful with optimizing code for the sake of
> bandwidth reduction and speed. Most modern browsers have caching enabled
> by default, so most of those performance improvements will only come
> into operation once. I'll accept any patches as long as they don't have
> an impact on maintainability. Things like merging modular files into a
> single monster probably do.

I guess it is up to you whether you want to include them or not.
Caching is well and good
if you have very long cache lifetimes. The aur appears to be
configured for about 10 days into the future for expires headers.

Also realize that to perform if-modified-since requests, the browser
makes connections. Reducing the file counts (merging css files)
reduces both tcp connections (whether response is 200 ok or 304 not
modified) as well as wait time (waiting for responses for
if-modified-since requests). Minimizing css files also reduces size.