[aur-dev] Package blacklist for the AUR

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 19:46:27 EST 2011

On Mon 07 Feb 2011 18:56 +0100, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 06:50:14PM +0100, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> > > Blacklist helper side:
> > > * I won't lie, I think this is over-engineered a tad. This can be done
> > > in a much shorter and easier to hack shell script since all you need
> > > is package names- just pipe bsdtar output through some magic and you
> > > have package names. I've attached a sample starter script I use for
> > > archweb updates. I'd probably have it call bsdtar and then who knows
> > > what.
> >
> > Our consensus was not to fetch tarballs via HTTP and extract them here,
> > but use libalpm instead. We already discussed using a small PHP script
> > that uses Archive::Tar (PEAR) but discarded that. Using libalpm, future
> > database format changes won't affect us and it just seems cleaner.
> >
> > Of course, we could do that with some shell script which would have to
> > do following things tho:
> >
> > - parse the AUR "config.inc" file: read MySQL host name, socket, user
> >   name, password
> > - use pacman(8) to sync local databases
> > - convert packages to MySQL queries using some sed(1)/awk(1) magic
> > - pipe stuff to mysql(1), ensure no errors occurred
> >
> > I just think that it wouldn't be much shorter (that C helper has about
> > 100 SLOC if you strip all that error handling stuff), nor cleaner, nor
> > faster. Best thing would to have PHP bindings for libalpm here... Well.
> > Recommendations and patches welcome :p
>
> Oh, and I'll probably make this script add package names listed in
> packages' "provides" arrays to the blacklist as well (thanks to Justin
> Davis, just read his reply).

Awesome :D.
Rather than creating another config file, would it be possible to just
point to the AUR's config.inc? Maybe a PHP wrapper around aurblup...

Kind of like the cleanup script? (That script should probably be changed
to point directly to the config file.)

Also I found a couple typos: something about dwm, and leightweight.

Thanks Lukas, you're the new hero of the AUR. :D