[aur-dev] Adding the HE language.

PyroPeter abi1789 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 14 15:58:50 EST 2011

On 02/12/2011 01:34 PM, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> Wow, I finally found some time to rebase and review all those patches...
>> 0001. 00e497a pkg_search_results: rewrite of page navigation
> I have to admit that I don't really like that way of pagination. It just
> feels odd and counter-intuitive imho. Right now, we have "First",
> "Prev", "Next" and "Last" buttons as well as pages adjacent to the
> current one. If you want to find a package that you remember to start
> with the letter "r" and to contain the string "and" somewhere in the
> package description, typing that into the search criteria and browsing
> all results is not the right way to do it. The proper way to allow users
> to search for such packages is to provide more powerful search criteria,
> which is something we're already working on. Also, if we'd want to
> implement something like that, I'd prefer some kind of binary search.
> That might, in fact, be interesting :)
> Moving parts of the paging stuff to "pkgfuncts.inc" makes sense tho.
> I'll probably extract this from the patch.

I rewrote the pagination a second time, this time without changing the
behavoir. Probably the world isn't ready yet for a commit that
turns searching into something awesome (tm).
(Children would have known what "logarithmic scaling" means even before
doing their first polynomial division!)

On the search criteria: it would be great to have regexps!
Mysql even has support for that:
   SELECT * FROM foo WHERE foo REGEXP '^java';

>> 0002. b65a5a3 pkg_search_results: increase size of links in
>>                page-navigation
> I'm not sure about this. I've never heard any gripes about that links
> being too small. Is there any feature request concerning this?

No. But this only grews one-digit-links to be of the size of two-digit-
links, so imo the usability gain outweights the space consumption.
I merged this change into the patch mentioned above.

>> 0003. df02d42 pkg_search_results: replace blind-table with
>>                floating div's
> Basically sounds like a good idea. I'll look into that!
>> 0004. 76a874a Right-to-left written languages now supported
> Basically looks ok, except that you revert some previous bug fixes.
> Also, where's that "css/languages.css" that you link to in the new
> header template?

The last two patches probably need a lot of updating, I will do that
next. I attached languages.css (forgot to git-add it)

> Thanks for your contributions!

Thanks for reviewing them :-P

freenode/pyropeter                                         ETAOIN SHRDLU
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: 0001-pkg_search_results-rewrite-of-pagination.patch
URL: <http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-dev/attachments/20110214/2e261feb/attachment.ksh>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: languages.css
Type: text/css
Size: 545 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-dev/attachments/20110214/2e261feb/attachment.css>

More information about the aur-dev mailing list