[aur-dev] Introduction and proposal

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 16:48:32 EDT 2012

On Sat 28 Jul 2012 10:00 +0200, Mario Mueller wrote:
> I'm a bit sad to see, that nobody seems to be interested in my contribution
> proposal. No feedback, no support. I mean, I did not expect you to welcome
> me with arms wide open, but a response to my proposal would be a minimum
> sign of respect. I wonder if you really want to change something or just
> want to leave it as it is? Maybe I just got wrong info? If do not want my
> help, just tell me and I will find another open-source project to
> contribute to.

I see no compelling reason to redo years of work under another
language/framework just for that sake alone. I think people would like
to see some better reasons for this.

Back before I got involved with the AUR there was a Brazilian project
that was trying to do the same thing as you. And later there was another
project 'AUR2' [1] that also had a similar goal.

If you're going to rewrite the AUR I think you really need to offer
something that the current AUR can't offer from a user perspective.
You need to offer a paradigm shift, otherwise it's hard to entice
people to an unestablished and unproven codebase.

For example, aur3 [2] (another independent project) is an interesting
take on the AUR.

Making the AUR into 'yet-another-webapp-but-in-shiny-python' just isn't
interesting enough. We could rewrite CVS, but in shiny python but that
wouldn't be really interesting either. So, I'm glad git (and other dvcs)
came along.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to discourage your contribution. Just
trying to help you think outside the box.

Cheers.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_2
[2] http://aur3.org/