[aur-dev] Using git as a backend for the AUR

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Sun Mar 17 13:14:01 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:43:01PM +0100, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 16/03/13 23:10, William Giokas wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > So in my spare time I was thinking about the AUR and how it could be
> > better. Back in January I commented on a bug[1] about integrating the
> > AUR and git to have a powerful, robust backend for the AUR. I think that
> > the original idea of creating one massive repository was inherently
> > flawed for most users, as it requires that the entire repository be
> > cloned, and that is no trivial task for people with only moderate
> > internet speeds. Were it similar to the way the official repositories
> > git setup is, then it would be okay for fetching, but using single
> > repositories for each project would make access control much less of a
> > nightmare.
> >
> > At the moment I have no experience with PHP or messing with the AUR, but
> > I have been playing around with git and using it to track packages and
> > the like, as well as some minimal experience with access control and
> > git.
> >
> > Currently, this is kind of the roadmap I see in my head:
> >
> > * Set up access controls for the AUR users to access over ssh using
> >   keys. While I could see this being somewhat arduous, it shouldn't be
> >   terribly hard to automate or set up. Something like gitolite or
> >   whatever should make it simpler.
> > * Each repository on the server would contain a single package (if
> >   someone decides to do a split package on the AUR it would contain the
> >   whole set of packages), allowing for multiple users to have push
> >   access and maintain the packages.
> The AUR currently has ~ 41076 packages, which would bring us to an equal
> amount of git repo's. This doesn't seem very efficient to me.
>
> With svn you can put it all in one repo and checkout a single package
> without checking out the whole repo, which is how
> [core],[extra],[community] work.
>
> I know Exherbo uses Git for their repo's but they seem to split it up
> into categories [1].
>
> Git seems to have sparse checkout for this in 1.7, but I don't know how
> it works [2]

git clone --single-branch git://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git -b packages/linux

... then make one for community.git :)

and inside, you can do stuff like...

git fetch origin packages/bash
git checkout -b packages/bash FETCH_HEAD

and checkout the other branches

--
Daniel Wallace
Archlinux Trusted User (gtmanfred)