[aur-dev] Using git as a backend for the AUR

William Giokas 1007380 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 13:33:41 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 01:14:01PM -0400, Daniel Wallace wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 12:43:01PM +0100, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> > The AUR currently has ~ 41076 packages, which would bring us to an equal
> > amount of git repo's. This doesn't seem very efficient to me.
> >
> > With svn you can put it all in one repo and checkout a single package
> > without checking out the whole repo, which is how
> > [core],[extra],[community] work.
> >
> > I know Exherbo uses Git for their repo's but they seem to split it up
> > into categories [1].
> >
> > Git seems to have sparse checkout for this in 1.7, but I don't know how
> > it works [2]
>
> git clone --single-branch git://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git -b packages/linux
>
> ... then make one for community.git :)
>
> and inside, you can do stuff like...
>
> git fetch origin packages/bash
> git checkout -b packages/bash FETCH_HEAD
>
> and checkout the other branches

But this does make it so that either no one has push access, or only a
very small subset of people have push access for security reasons. The
whole point of the multiple repos is to allow people full control over
the whole repo with git, and not have to rely on the `makepkg -S` bits.
While great for spectating, it's pretty bad for a bunch of people that
can just simply sign up as contributors. Also, you know what would
happen if we just gave everyone push access.

Thanks,
--
William Giokas | KaiSforza
GnuPG Key: 0x73CD09CF