[aur-dev] Add a VCS field in the package details page

Yardena Cohen yardenack at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 12:18:57 EST 2013

Dustin Falgout <dustin at falgout.us> wrote:
> I'm not sure that github is the right solution
> as we would be relying on an outside service that could possibly change
> or disappear at any time in the future. Perhaps something similar to
> how wikis allow revisions to be made and viewed by anyone but don't
> replace the original content until approved?
>
> I don't see a way to do anything about this issue that wouldn't be
> considered a new feature to the AUR

I think this proposal is something simpler, almost akin to url= in a
PKGBUILD. I too keep my PKGBUILDs in a git repo, and sometimes I've
even put the github link as the upstream URL. It would be nice if
there was a more correct place for that.

Maintainers can use their own host, doesn't have to be github.
Obviously we're responsible for avoiding dead links, just as in url=
and source= etc.