[aur-dev] Split package support

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Sat Jan 18 09:52:09 EST 2014

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 at 15:38:52, Dave Reisner wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 03:16:36PM +0100, Lukas Fleischer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I changed my mind again and I think the next release should be 3.0.0,
> > bringing full meta data and split package support.
>
> Yay! Does this also mean we'll be extending the replies from the RPC
> API?

We should do that, yes!

> > This is my idea of how split packages should be displayed:
> >
> > * One page per built package. Comments, votes and maintainer information
> >   are shared among packages that belong to the same PKGBUILD, though.
> >   The delete and merge functions will also operate on package bases, not
> >   on built packages.
> >
> > * A new pkgbase field on the package details page that is clickable and
> >   starts a package search on all packages belonging to the same base.
>
> What about having detail pages for the pkgbase? Maybe use a new route
> like /pkgbase/foobase. It could display all the comments, maintainership
> info, actions, and also have direct links to the corresponding output
> packages. This would make it easier to refer to packages as a whole.
> I'm particularly thinking about posting on aur-general for help with
> merge/delete/orphan requests. Package detail pages could then link back
> to their pkgbase page.

That sounds like an even better idea. So we're making the package pages
look like the archweb package pages, with PKGBUILD and tarball links.
But do we include comments etc. from the pkgbase there as well? Or
rather have the actions and comments on the pkgbase pages only? And when
searching, we only return package pages?