[aur-dev] lib32-gtk3 block and no AUR User Guidelines presidence

Stefan Husmann stefan-husmann at t-online.de
Sat Apr 11 23:31:51 UTC 2015

Am 09.04.2015 um 21:09 schrieb Curtis Lee Bolin:
> The maintainer of lib32-gtk3, alucryd, recently updated the version to
> 3.16.1 although it's dependencies are in testing.  So now anyone
> wanting to install something depending on lib32-gtk3 would now be
> forced to enable the testing repository.

He warned about this in an AUR comments [1], that is fair enough IMHO.

> In alucryd's comments with another user he seems to be under the
> impression all users already have lib32-gtk3 installed, and he isn't
> forcing anyone to update.  He is forgetting all of the people that are
> installing something for the first time that depends on lib32-gtk.
> They are completely blocked without adding the testing repository.

He also gave a solution for this issue.

> I reviewed the AUR User Guidelines and can find nothing to prevent
> this type of lapse in logic.  This isn't the first time I have seen
> this issue.  Since there isn't a separate testing AUR, can something
> be added to the AUR User Guidelines maybe stating packages that
> require the testing repository must have "-testing" added to the name
> or whatever would best resolve this problem.

The AUR User Guidelines are about AUR, not about official packages.

> Thank You For Your Time,
> Curtis Lee Bolin

Best Regards

Stefan Husmann

[1] Updated to 3.16.1 (still in [testing]). This brings 2 new deps, lib32-libepoxy and lib32-libcanberra-gtk3. The latter is a terrible terrible circular dep, it should depend on lib32-gtk3, but I only put it in makedeps since lib32-libcanberra in [multilib] seems to use the same approach.