[aur-dev] AUR 4 and licensing

Johannes Löthberg johannes at kyriasis.com
Sat Apr 11 23:47:10 UTC 2015

Hello,

Currently the content of the AUR is in a sort of gray zone. All of the
contents are technically copyrighted, and since there is no explicit
license it defaults to 'all rights reserved'.

To mitigate this I’d propose making a ToS for the AUR that for one says
that the user agrees to either license the PKGBUILD and accompanying
scripts under a specific license, or that they agree to assign copyright
to Arch Linux.

While it wouldn’t be possible to apply it to the packages already
upload, I’d suggest implementing this change during the migration to AUR
4.0.0 when the official AUR will be started afresh, causing all newly
uploaded packages to fall under the ToS.

Comments?

--
Sincerely,
  Johannes Löthberg