[aur-dev] AUR 4 and licensing

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:49:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 8:42 AM, Johannes Löthberg
<johannes at kyriasis.com> wrote:
> On 13/04, Dan McGee wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Johannes Löthberg
>> <johannes at kyriasis.com> wrote:

>>> I'm aware of how git’s hooks work. You do not seem to though. Git is a
>>> DVCS,
>>> unlike SVN. You cannot have a pre-commit hook on the server.
>>

>> You don't sound like you are aware, because you are wrong.
>>
>> http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks
>> https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/git-hooks/server-side-hooks
>>
>> http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-An-Example-Git-Enforced-Policy
>>

> Alas I am not. For one, actually look at your second link where it says that
> there are 3 server-side hooks and note how none of them are pre-commit.

He mentioned "and many more"; you're gravitating toward pre-commit.
I'm guessing no one here thinks you will be able to stop someone from
committing locally.

If you want to be pedantic, fine- you win, go buy yourself a cookie or
something.

If you want to be practical, there are several ways server-side hooks
can solve the original problem here. Showing a message on push would
be fine; Github does this exact type of thing if you don't have
permissions to push to a repository there. In the case of the AUR, you
would check for that, any necessary agreements on licensing, etc. and
reject the push while providing a helpful "Please go visit
http://example.com/tos to accept the conditions of the AUR before
pushing your changes."

-Dan