[aur-dev] AUR 4.0.0 version tags

Yaron de Leeuw me at jarondl.net
Mon Jan 12 18:17:35 UTC 2015

Hi.
I have a suggestion for AUR 4.0.0: git tags with version information.
The idea is that each and every commit will be tagged with the version
extracted from .SRCINFO. Only the server will be allowed to apply tags
(maybe a simple chmod on `.git/ref/tags` would do). They must never
be overwritten, so `git-serve.py` should check if a tag exists before
accepting a new commit.

This will allow the user to check what happened to the AUR package he
wants to install with`git diff` and `git log`, relative to his installed version.

It will totally replace the need of aurifere, and can help other AUR helpers [1] as well.

What do you think? If there is interest, I will work on a patch.

Yaron

[1] https://github.com/rmarquis/pacaur/issues/231