[aur-dev] AUR 4.0.0 version tags

Lukas Fleischer archlinux at cryptocrack.de
Mon Jan 12 19:59:36 UTC 2015

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 at 19:17:35, Yaron de Leeuw wrote:
> Hi.
> I have a suggestion for AUR 4.0.0: git tags with version information.
> The idea is that each and every commit will be tagged with the version
> extracted from .SRCINFO. Only the server will be allowed to apply tags
> (maybe a simple chmod on `.git/ref/tags` would do). They must never
> be overwritten, so `git-serve.py` should check if a tag exists before
> accepting a new commit.
>
> This will allow the user to check what happened to the AUR package he
> wants to install with`git diff` and `git log`, relative to his installed version.
>
> It will totally replace the need of aurifere, and can help other AUR helpers [1] as well.
>
> What do you think? If there is interest, I will work on a patch.

I am not sure whether doing it automatically on the server is a good
idea but I like the idea of having tags for different versions of a
package. The problem with creating them on the server side is that you
need to run `git push && git pull` instead of `git push` every time you
want to sync the server with the local clone. Because it happens in the
background, users might not be aware of the new refs and may not run
`git pull` to update their local repository (which means the tags are
also missing from any other remotes the users push to). Not sure if that
really is a problem, though.

I would like to hear some more opinions. Note that our post-receive
script already rejects any updates to tags, so you don't need any
additional checks here :)