[aur-dev] AUR 4.0.0 version tags

Marcel Korpel marcel.korpel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 15:43:53 UTC 2015

* Lukas Fleischer <archlinux at cryptocrack.de> (Mon, 12 Jan 2015 20:59:36
+0100):
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 at 19:17:35, Yaron de Leeuw wrote:
>> I have a suggestion for AUR 4.0.0: git tags with version
>> information. The idea is that each and every commit will be tagged
>> with the version extracted from .SRCINFO. Only the server will be
>> allowed to apply tags (maybe a simple chmod on `.git/ref/tags`
>> would do). They must never be overwritten, so `git-serve.py` should
>> check if a tag exists before accepting a new commit.
>
> I am not sure whether doing it automatically on the server is a good
> idea but I like the idea of having tags for different versions of a
> package. The problem with creating them on the server side is that you
> need to run `git push && git pull` instead of `git push` every time
> you want to sync the server with the local clone. Because it happens
> in the background, users might not be aware of the new refs and may
> not run `git pull` to update their local repository (which means the
> tags are also missing from any other remotes the users push to). Not
> sure if that really is a problem, though.
>
> I would like to hear some more opinions.

I like the idea of having tags, but not that the server applies them in
the background: it's too error prone if users have to manually type
`&& git pull` behind there `git push`. Perhaps a simple script,
possibly included in pkgbuild-introspection, can take care of the extra
hassle (and perhaps include a tag in the client repository?) of typing
`git push [origin master] && git pull` every time?

Just my few thoughts…

Regards,
Marcel