[aur-dev] .SRCINFO: handling of commits lacking an update and in general

Remy Marquis remy.marquis at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 13:03:46 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 2:48 PM, Peter Mattern <pmattern at arcor.de> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Considering the short time AUR 4 is in use the number of commits lacking
> an update of .SRCINFO seems to be rather high.
> The resulting problem is a cosmetic one only as the actual PKGBUILD
> functionality isn't affected but only the package's web page not updated
> accordingly.
> Yet I wonder whether it would be helpful to reject commits lacking the
> update of .SRCINFO if feasible.

Rejecting such commits would be welcome, as this issue is unfortunately
more serious than being only a cosmetic details. It also affect the RPC
interface that can be used by external programs, such as helpers.

> Actually I wonder as well whether it wouldn't even be better to not have
> .SRCINFO written by the packagers before uploading a commit but by aurweb
> when commits are received.
> This would ensure that problems like the one stated above can't happen and
> I for one couldn't figure a downside so far.

Afaik, the whole point of generating .SRCINFO file on the maintainer
machine (rather than the AUR server) is to parse PKGBUILDs accurately
without introducing security issues.

R.